As an interior design firm, Lys+Nat Design is often asked about the differences between the design process for a renovation versus a new custom build. While both processes involve creating a beautiful and functional space, they have different challenges and considerations. In this blog post, we will explore the interior design process for both renovation and new custom builds, so you can have a better understanding of what to expect.
Renovation Interior Design Process
The interior design process for a renovation project typically involves working with an existing space and updating it to meet the client’s needs and style. This process typically involves several steps, including:
- Initial Consultation – This is the first meeting with the client to discuss their vision for the space and their renovation goals.
- Space Assessment – This involves assessing the existing space, including measuring, taking photos, and noting any potential issues or limitations.
- Design Concept – This is where the designer creates a design concept that meets the client’s needs and style preferences while working within the existing space.
- Material Selection – This step involves selecting materials such as flooring, paint colors, and finishes to create a cohesive design.
- Construction Coordination – The designer works closely with the contractor to ensure that the design is executed correctly during the renovation process.
New Custom Build Interior Design Process
The interior design process for a new custom build involves creating a space from scratch, which can be both exciting and challenging. The process typically involves the following steps:
- Initial Consultation – This is the first meeting with the client to discuss their vision for the new build, including their lifestyle, needs, and design preferences.
- Conceptual Design – The designer creates a conceptual design based on the client’s vision and needs, which includes floor plans, elevations, and other design elements.
- Material Selection – This step involves selecting materials such as flooring, paint colors, and finishes that meet the client’s vision and design goals.
- Construction Coordination – The designer works closely with the contractor and architect to ensure that the design is executed correctly during the construction process.
- Furnishing and Styling – Once the construction is complete, the designer helps the client furnish and style the space to create a finished look.
Which Process is Right for You?
The decision to renovate or build a new custom home is a personal one that depends on your lifestyle, budget, and goals. Renovating an existing space can be a more cost-effective option, but it can also come with limitations, such as existing layouts and structural issues. Building a new custom home allows for more creativity and flexibility, but it can also be more expensive.
At Lys+Nat Design, we can help you navigate the design process for both renovations and new custom builds. Whether you’re looking to update an existing space or create a new custom home, we have the expertise and experience to help you achieve your vision.
The interior design process for a renovation or new custom build may differ in terms of challenges and considerations, but both require careful planning, attention to detail, and a skilled designer. At Lys+Nat Design, we can help you navigate the design process for both and create a space that meets your needs and reflects your personal style. Contact us today to learn more about our interior design services.